How employees have business owners up against a wall
I am not sure about you, but I have often been completely dumb-founded by the way some employees believe the world revolves around them and working for an organization isn't a two way street. I am sure every entrepreneur and business owner can attest to having at least thought this at some point in their business life.
The truth I have learnt - the hard way, I might add - is that all employees have employers up against the wall.
We all know:
- It's easier to work with what you have and less costly then employing someone new
- Hire slowly, fire fast
- One negative person can cause a virus
- Performance is linked to employee happiness
- Some employees feel "entitled" and there is nothing you can do about it other then put bandaides on it
With all of this in mind, smart employers are realizing that if they don't like being up against the wall, then they have to lay the right footprint to exceed employees expectations and deliver an environment conducive to productivity and excellence.
There are some things you may want to consider implementing:
- Employee communications strategy
- Culture book
- Employee events
- Ongoing training and development for all employees
- Employee social media engagement
- Happiness champions internally and externally
- Employee counselling (external/strictly confidential)
- Friday newsflashes