Anyone can learn how to be a great leader
Leadership styles is often thought to be a medium or larger business thought-process.
Most people who are starting a small business do not have anyone to manage or motivate them but thinking ahead of what leadership style you would like to embark on, will put you in good stead for future success.
A good leader doesn't just tell people what to do, but instead, they use the power of persuasion and influence to aid the people that work for them to do their jobs. A really good entrepreneur takes the time to get to know themselves - the good, the bad and the ugly. They use this knowledge of their strengths and weaknesses to build teams that compensate for their short-comings (or gaps).
5 Skills Good Leaders Should Master
1. Communication: Listen to what your employees have to say; be clear, consistent and compassionate and most importantly, inspire.
2. Motivate: Recognise, reward and praise all while building a sense of purpose and direction.
3. Performance Manage your team by setting clear expectations and STICK to them. Give feedback and provide support.
4. Delegate: Don't micro manage or allow your 'control freak' traits to hinder the performance of your team. Set expectations of your staff and trust them. Give them the power and set realistic goals.
5. Make a decision: Strong leaders know how to make a decision.
If your leadership style is non-existent, all over the shop or needs improving, a leadership coach for a couple of hours a month may just do the trick. There are very skilled leadership coaches in Australia and internationally who work specifically with small business owners on helping them develop and improve their leadership capabilities.