New York is Marketing Eye's Focus for 2016/17
It's particularly exciting given that usually we only share part of the plan, but this year, we decided to share it all - along with our profit sharing strategy for employees. It's time for many of our younger team members to start investing in houses or apartments, and they cannot do that without getting some real money behind them.
Giving employees more of the upside is part of our growth strategy. What that means is that employees will financially benefit directly when we hit our goals which are reasonable and completely achievable.
As a small to medium sized business marketing company with a company magazine and a primary product whereby we provide businesses with a complete outsourced marketing department for $30,000 per year - we have a good, strong value proposition. That in itself is very exciting.
New York is part of our growth strategy. We have always had clients there, but not focused enough on the growth of the business. It's almost a side project.
With 50,000 new businesses starting in New York each year, it would madness for us to continue to ignore the opportunity that lies ahead. It's time to really focus on what is possible for our business moving forward in this city that I am totally in love with.
When expanding in New York, businesses need to know a few things:
- Employ the aggressive sales person that is really in your face - they actually all are and people are use to it. Better still, they sell.
- Set up in a cool location that people know well. If they don't know it, they judge you.
- If someone gives you a contact, use it. If you don't, they won't ever do it again.
- Don't judge. That means, don't judge just how aggressive New York is to do business. If you make it in New York, you can make it anywhere. Always remember that.
- Experience everything the city has to offer. It will give you something to talk about when you meet people.
- New Yorkers love to talk. Let them. They may walk away not knowing much about you, because there is always another time, but they will welcome the fact that you listened, and not enough people listen without talking over each other in this city where you have to constantly be on your toes.
I'm away traveling from Sunday through to 31 August, 2016, all for work. I am excited by this adventure and look forward to sharing the journey with you. Each day I will write about my experiences with work, building the business, reaching our goals, adapting my life to work in with others and collaborating like I have never done so before.
This is really my most exciting year and there is so much to be achieved. I am so thankful for the amazing people in my life who are incredibly supportive and to my team that amaze me every day with their intelligence, loyalty and passion. Let's kick goals together.